POV Pix: Making Machinima in Second Life

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

2L Machinima at MIT

I came across this post from the blog Millions of Us. Glad to see machinima getting respect attention and respect at top universities.

Machinima @ MIT
Dean Jansen of Telemusicvision and CyberOne (the non-MoU parts of my life) connected me to Prof. Beth Coleman at MIT. She has a small group of students interested in testing out the machinima waters in Second Life. I spoke to them about some lighting effects, scripting, and avatar creation. I based my introduction around Robbie Dingo’s amazing work, Tao Takashi’s videos, Eric Call’s Silver Bells, some segments of Torely’s first machinima & Pierce P’s 60 to Tank. I also used one of minxeh’s/Annette’s creepy Halloween setups to show the students the tricks of local lighting and allow them to see some of the textures/prim shadows.

Tao Takashi (Christian Scholz) will be filming a tutorial piece tomorrow explaining camera control in SL. I will then deliever it to the group and hopefully answer their questions. I wish Tao were able to participate remotely, but the meeting time for this tutorial is at some insane morning hour in Germany. Nonetheless, I can’t wait to see what the MIT students will create for the next machinima festival!

In case you're wondering why I have anything to do with machinima (seeing how I have never made any), the answer is simple — I think it is an integral part of the future of entertainment. I also think that it is the best way to record SL events. I became very interested in machinima after the Beyond Broadcast conference. Look for an announcement here within the next weeks/month for a white paper this topic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home